E. Alvin Davis – Program and Music Director WFLI, 1972
AJ Salmeron – “Have this album and love the songs!”
Darell Drumm – “E Alvin Davis was an evening DJ at KLEO in Wichita, Kansas in the late 60’s.”
AJ Salmeron – “E was program director in the mid-70’s at WFLI, Chattanooga and later in New Orleans. I could pick him up coming across Alabama and Misssissippi–not sure what the call letters were but it was N’Orleans.”
E. Alvin Davis wrote the liner notes on the back of this WFLI album. If you have any more information on E. Alvin Davis, please reply below.
E. Alvin Davis – “Every year WFLI surveys its listeners to determine the top three hundred records. It is interesting to note as the years pass some songs that were favorite fade in memory and are replaced by others. It is also interesting to note that certain tunes which achieve hit status in a given year cannot lay claim to a position among the top three hundred favorites.
Yet year after year certain records gain permanent places in the hearts and minds of WFLI listeners. Their names reappear in survey after survey. They are requested often. Their appeal ranges from those who remember them in the years they became hits to those who are hearing them for the first time.
Included in the LP are sixteen such hits. These are the original hits by the original artists. They cover the full spectrum of musical tastes and are representative of all forms popular music has taken. Without any doubt they can be categorized as the most golden WFLI “Solid Gold Hits.”
1. Put Your Hand in the Hand – Ocean
2. Smile a Little Smile for Me – The Flying Machine
3. Mississippi Queen – Mountain
4. Band of Gold – Freda Payne
5. Nice to Be with You – Gallery
6. You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling – Righteous Brothers
7. Venus – The Shocking Blue
8. Crimson & Clover – Tommy James & the Shondells
9. Baby I Love You – Andy Kim
10. Brand New Key – Melanie
11. Green Eyed Lady – Sugarloaf
12. Want Ads – Honeycones
13. Polk Salad Annie – Tony Joe White
14. House of the Rising Sun – The Animals
15. Give Me Just a Little More Time – Chairman of the Board
16. Hush – Deep Purple